Volunteer tutors are the heart and soul of Gateway Centre for Learning. We train them to teach our adult learners through one-to-one or small groups: reading, writing, math and computers. Tutors then have access to a variety of teaching and learning materials, as well as ongoing support from Gateway. Our tutors include men and women of all ages from many different backgrounds. Previous teaching experience is not required. These volunteers are committed to helping others and are truly changing lives!
- Understand our mission and adhere to our mandate.
- Review with staff and learners the learning goals and training plan.
- Work with staff to select the appropriate teaching materials that suit the student’s goals, abilities and interests.
- Plan and prepare materials for weekly tutoring sessions.
- Tutor the learner once per week for a minimum of two hours at the office or in a public place.
- Assist in reviewing progress and revising the learner’s training plan on an ongoing basis.
- Attend tutor training seminars as scheduled.
- Maintain a positive, patient attitude that encourages learning.
- Tell staff about changes in appointments.
- Inform staff if match with learner is unsuccessful.
- Discuss learner’s progress with staff.
- Discuss problems/issues with staff when they arise.
- Keep record of volunteer hours, including participation at events.
- Provide monthly updates to staff
Volunteer Tutors Require:
- A patient, open minded, flexible attitude.
- A completed application form.
- A willingness to try new and creative ways of teaching.
- An understanding of student-centered approach to teaching and learning.
- Good verbal skills; good listening skills.
- Good skills in reading, writing, spelling, basic math, and computers.
- The ability to keep appointments weekly.
- Respect for confidentiality.
- Respect for learner’s goals.
Literacy and Essential Skills as a Poverty Reduction Strategy
National Research Report – PDF
CBC – Ontario Morning Podcast – Listen Now
Information starts at 35:58 and ends at 42:05 – approximately 6 minutes in length