Gateway Centre for Learning (GCFL) aims to increase awareness of literacy needs and to promote a literate society.
Gateway Centre for Learning, formerly the Midland Area Reading Council began services to the North Simcoe community in 1982.
We offer confidential tutoring to adults who want to improve their reading, writing, math, computer, employability and life skills. We believe that literacy is a basic human right and that each citizen should be able to function fully and comfortably in their community. We believe in people helping themselves and each other.
What we are:
- Non-profit, charitable organization
What we do:
- Provide year round learning programs and services for residents of North Simcoe
- Programs and services are developed and delivered by trained volunteers and professional staff
- One to one tutoring and small group workshops we offer:
- Basic literacy, math, computer, employability and life skills up-grading
- Our adult literacy program is fully funded by Employment Ontario and United Way
- We offer computer courses to individuals and businesses in the community at reasonable prices
How we do it:
- We rely heavily on volunteers
- “Bookmark” our bookstore sells gently used books – all proceeds support Gateway programming
- Computer courses
- Donations from individuals and organizations
Literacy and Essential Skills as a Poverty Reduction Strategy National Research Report – PDF
CBC – Ontario Morning Podcast: Listen Now
Information starts at 35:58 and ends at 42:05 – approximately 6 minutes in length
Interested in Learning with Us?
Potential students should Contact Us to book a meeting time for you to come in and meet with the Adult Literacy Program Coordinator. During this meeting we will talk about your needs, assess your current skills and talk about how we can help you.
Potential volunteers, sponsors and partners should Contact Us to book a tour and information session.
GATEWAY CENTRE FOR LEARNING is a not for profit registered charity.
Our charitable number is: 119040319RR0001.